View Single Post
Old 19-12-2008, 15:40   #56
MesserWolf

L'Avatar di MesserWolf

Iscritto dal: Jul 2005
Città: Luxembourg
Quote:
I like Steam as a platform but I've never thought it was good value. And now the exchange rates make it awful value.

As an illustration I bought Fallout 3 which was on sale in GAME for £20 / €25. It's currently €49 on steam. Somehow a bricks and mortar store managed to sell me a physical disk, with all the overheads associated with running a store, maintaining stock, handling returns, disk manufacture, packaging, and shipping for half of what Steam would have me pay.

I realise the game was on sale, but even full price the RRP was only £35 which most physical and virtually all online stores would beat. In the unlikely event that I had paid the RRP it still works out cheaper.

Besides, the fact it was on sale in GAME demonstrates another advantage of physical over steam - actual tangible sales for stock clearance purposes not occasional, arbitrary and usually paltry discounts.

I think I'll save steam for casual titles for now on. Games should be cheaper on steam than their physical counterparts. I don't see any compelling reason to use the service until they are.

copi&incollo un commento trovato per il web .... sono completamente d'accordo ... oltretutto pare che i prezzi in £ siano migliori di quelli €