Discussione: [aspettando] Arakion
View Single Post
Old 25-02-2013, 19:15   #63
gaxel
Bannato

Iscritto dal: Jan 2007
Hey Kickstarterees,

Chris here for another Sunday update. There are a few things I want to discuss in this update including character creation, magic structure and backer rewards. I've been wanting to show you all the excellent combat system that Arakion has in place, but I'm going to have to put it off for another week. Everyone on the Arakion team is working hard squashing bugs that popped up after we upgraded our software systems (we upgraded two weeks ago, hence the lack of an update last week) so we haven't been able to record good combat footage to tease you, but you'll get it soon! Important: Backer Rewards!

The first thing I want to mention here is that we've received additional funding for another content pack. So all backers will be receiving an additional campaign for the main story arc. If there is something you would like to specifically see in the game feel free to discuss it below. I've been working hard with people interested in helping fund the game to get as much content as possible for you all.

The Card Game: we are all still working hard creating Arakion as well as the card game. The card game beta is still at least a month away but I just want to let everyone know that there will be exclusive beta (and alpha if you're in the category) access for each Kickstarter backer! Each Kickstarter backer additionally will receive in game funds as a special thank you for supporting Arakion.

Custom content backers: Now that we've finally gotten our software purchased, learned and the team is settled in, we'll be getting a hold of all the custom content backers soon! So get ready to create some awesome content for Arakion! Character Creation

The character creation system in Arakion has received a complete overhaul, and while we're not quite ready to show off all the cool new features that are involved I want to talk to you about them today.

When I originally created the prototype for Arakion I hearkened back to the old days of RPGs where you had preset faces that you would choose from. While this is very nostalgic, a lot of backers asked if we could implement a fully customize able system. So after a lot of tinkering and hard work, we now have a full customization system in place for Arakion.

Now since the shoulder up is the main area you'll be seeing throughout the game, we took special care to add in a lot of customize able features for each race. Here are just a few of the things each race has to offer

2 - 4 Unique features for each race (for example, Tree Ents have twig growth, Gor have distinct tattoos, Satyr have horns) 8+ unique hairs and 16+ generic hairs for each race / sex Hair Length Eye Colour 8+ unique noses, eyes, lips for each race / sex Facial Morphers for complete control of sizes and shape 8+ Distinct heads for each race Texture Blending to combine multiple facial looks (for example this gives you a gradient of age or makeup you can add rather than having "steps") Multiple jewelry and tattoo options Lots of hat/helmet/headgear options Voice selections with tone and pitch modifiers appropriate to each race and much more...

Our goal with Arakion is to create a deep RPG experience where you are in love with not only the story and game but every character you make, and having preset faces just wasn't cutting it. So I hope our overhaul has you all excited. Magic Structure

(A work in progress please add comments about the system below)

In Arakion, magic isn't structured in the same fashion as your typical RPG. There are 3 main types of magic in the game, light, dark and arcane (Good, Evil and Neutral). These magics act in a "rock paper scissors" fashion. The type of Magic each character leans towards is a reflection of their personality. We understand that no character is all good or all evil so we've added a good gradation when it comes to this approach.

There are also multiple minor magics in the game, these include your typical fire, earth, ice etc... These have no damage bearing on each other (water magic does not deal additional damage against fire) instead each element adds a specific type of damage to your skills or weapons. For instance fire magic adds a damage over time effect while ice adds a freeze effect.

So what does this all mean? Well what this ends up doing is creating some very cool possibilities for each character. Keeping with the fire example, lets say one of your characters is an evil S.O.B and has been heartless the whole game. His skills and equipment will reflect that. If he has a "Fire Sword" that suddenly becomes a Hellfire Sword gaining a darker aura and dealing additional damage to light based enemies.

The reason why we decided on this sort of structure is so that each decision you make has just a little more impact on how your character plays. Inner Party Dialogue and Relationships

So this is something very cool and I'm excited about that we're currently implementing in Arakion. Instead of being non moving heads at the bottom of the screen, each character in the party will be able to look at, talk to each other, point things out during your adventure and even build relationships with one another! A little example...

Lets say your party comes upon a locked chest. This party happens to have a wary seeker and a overconfident warrior.

Seeker: This chest... looks trapped...

Warrior: Whaturya doin waitin for it there r' goodies inside! Traps be damned -lets force er' open!

Seeker: Warrior, you're going to get us all killed! I advise we either move on, or attempt to disarm it.

Warrior: You th' eart uva pansy!

Player has the warrior force open the chest, a trap is set off damaging the Seeker.

Seeker: ARGH!!

Warrior (laughing hysterically): oops... Ahhh HAHAHAHA

Seeker: One of these nights, when you're sleeping I am going to FINISH YOU!!!!!

Warrior: BAH HAHA HAHA, did ya see tha' I open th' chest and u're all POOF... Sizzle!!! Ahhhhhhhh HAHAHA

Seeker: sigh...

So throughout your adventures in Arakion you'll come across a lot of situations where your characters dialogue is pertinent and they may have different opinions regarding the situation to help you through it. Even if you're wandering around they could simply strike up a conversation with one another. Each characters personality is based off traits, class and race. A Final Note

I want to just to let everyone once again know how grateful I am for the opportunity of a lifetime you have given me. Every team member is working hard to make sure we make something special and unforgettable.

Two updates next week, the first regarding the software we're using the second will (hopefully) be the combat update. As always if you have any ideas or comments please add them below!

Until next time,

Chris Taylor
gaxel è offline   Rispondi citando il messaggio o parte di esso